Cake, but make it quick, gluten free and yummy. Coming right up! My easy 6 ingredient mug cake has a deliciously moist sponge and a refreshingly light tangy lemon flavour. Best of all - it only takes 2 minutes to assemble, and 90 seconds to cook in the microwave!
It is by far the easiest (and fastest) recipe to rustle up as a healthy afternoon snack (or a light dessert after dinner) if you are craving something sweet. All you need is a mug, a microwave and a fork. Plus a dollop of coconut yoghurt on top! I love making this snack in the afternoons, when I am craving something sweet and warm, but also looking for something that's healthy and quick to make. I don't have a lot of time these days and my gluten mug cakes are my go-to; I have a few in my repertoire - should I share all of them with you? Plus, the novelty of baking a cake in a microwave is super fun. Read on for the ingredient list and method. And as always, enjoy!
Remember to share your Smør Kitchen recipes with us by tagging @smorkitchen #smorkitchen on Instagram. We love seeing what you cook!
Serving size: 1 person/1 mug
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp Stevia
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 lemon rind, and set some aside to sprinkle on top of the mug cake
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp almond meal/flour
- Dollop of coconut yoghurt, we love Coyo Organic Natural Coconut Yoghurt.
- In a mug add all of the ingredients (expect the coconut yoghurt) and stir thoroughly with a fork to combine.
- Plan mug in microwave and cook on high for 90 seconds.
- Take the mug out of the microwave, dollop a heaped spoon of coconut yoghurt on top, sprinkle lemon rind all over the yoghurt, serve and enjoy straight away.
- I personally find cooking my mug cake for 85 seconds is the sweet spot in my microwave. But don't stress - start with 90 seconds and the more you times you make my mug cakes, experiment between 80 and 90 seconds. In some microwaves, 90 seconds may make the mug cake slightly dry, if this happens reduce the cook time by 5 to 10 seconds.
- These are always best enjoyed as soon as they come out of the microwave.
- You can make these mug cakes ahead of time and store them in the fridge overnight (as long as they are tightly sealed with cling wrap and you haven't put the coconut yoghurt on top). You'll just need to quickly pop them back into the microwave to serve warm. If you plan on doing this, cook the mug cake for only 70 seconds initially, then warm for 20 seconds when you are ready to serve them.