If there is one thing we love to do on the weekends, it's making our own pasta from scratch. The act of slowing down and spending quality time together around food brings us so much joy. Dusty loves getting involved and seeing him learn the foundations of making pasta warms our hearts so much.
Making pasta is actually very simple. All you need are the basics - good flour, a pasta machine, a little bit of time, and a whole lot of love. Because making pasta takes more time than using pasta from a packet, we like to keep our rotation of sauces really simple. The last thing we want to be doing is spending more time creating a complex sauce.
Our current go-to is our Homemade Fettuccini with Anchovies, Chillies and Parsley. Just like the Italians when it comes to pasta and pizza, we like to keep the flavour profiles to a few key ingredients. Now, we are very aware not everyone loves anchovies as much as we do. You can easily swap the anchovies for fresh roma tomatoes, or fried capers, or smoked salmon.
Let's get making!
- 2 cups of "00" flour, we use La Molisana Farina 00 Di Grano Tenero Flour from Coles
- 3 eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 anchovies per serve/person
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- Parsley, handful of leaves picked from stems
- Mix the eggs and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer using your hands until the dough looks shaggy.
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic for about 10 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer you can knead the dough for the same amount of time with your hands.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let is rest for at least 10 minutes.
- While your dough is resting, set up your pasta machine to the fettuccini setting.
- Cut the pasta into 10cm x 5cm pieces, feed each piece through the pasta machine on the thickest setting and roll the dough through. Repeat by moving the dough through the machine to the thinnest setting. You may need to lightly dust the pasta sheet each time you roll it through a setting. A dough machine is usually numbered, so you want to roll once through each number and work your way down to the thinnest setting.
- Cut the pasta using the fettuccini attachment. Dust the pasta while you move onto your sauce.
- Coat a saucepan in a heaped splash of olive oil on medium heat.
- Add sliced chilli and cook until the aromas release. Quickly add the anchovies and parsley and cook for 1 to 3 minutes until the parsley has wilted. You don't want to cook the anchovies for too long otherwise they will melt.
- Throw in your fettuccini, toss the fettuccini in the sauce until it's completely covered.
- Serve immediately.
- And as always, enjoy!