If you're looking for a recipe that's quick and easy, healthy and delicious, our Kale, Mushroom and Feta Pie is perfect for you. Loaded with nutritious ingredients, this pie is one of our favourites! We often make this pie when we've got a busy week ahead and know we'll be strapped for time. We usually double the ingredients and make two pies at the same time, so we can have one pie for dinner, then freeze the other for another week. Read on for the recipe, and as always, we hope you love!
- 1 Bunch of kale, roughly chopped
- 500g Mushrooms, sliced
- 200g Feta, broken up
- 1 Leek, the end (white part) finely sliced
- 150g Fresh spinach leaves
- 3 Eggs and 1/2 cup milk, whisked together
- 2 Sheets of puff pastry
- Knob of butter
- Flaked sea salt and cracked pepper, to season
- Baking dish (preferably one a pie dish)
- Baking paper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Add knob of butter to a pan over a medium heat.
- Add leek and mushrooms to the pan and sweat them down. Add kale and sweat down. Add sea salt and cracked pepper to season. Don't use too much sea salt as feta is naturally quite salty. Set aside.
- Place two sheets of semi thawed puff pastry diagonally to a baking dish suitable for pies. Crimp or fold back the edges, don't cut them off as it's a waste of pastry goodness.
Place a sheet of backing paper on top of the base of the pastry and put a weight on top - we used another baking dish. This holds the pastry down and stops it from raising too much during the first bake (refer to next step).
- Place the baking dish with the puff pastry into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and slightly golden.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and place the kale mixture on top of the pastry. Gently fold in the feta. Pour the milk and egg mixture on top; there is no need to mix this in.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 40 minutes or until the filling is just set. Don't place the dish too high in the oven otherwise the pastry edges may burn.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to continue to let the filling set. Cut as desired and serve as is, or with a side salad. Enjoy!