For us, making breakfast can go two ways. We either have no time at all or we have all the time in the world. We tend to rotate between keeping it simple with muesli, or sourdough toast topped with various toppings (eggs and green veggies, or Vegemite and butter, or avocado and goats cheese), or we make something that takes up a bit more time, such as pancakes, or shakshuka, or acai bowls, or porridge.
On a Sunday afternoon during meal prep a while ago, the idea popped into my head when I noticed we had some leftover oats from porridge we had made over the weekend with stewed summer fruit. Granola! Putting our heads together, we grabbed everything and anything from our pantry to mix together and put into the oven to make our version of Vegan Granola. It was super delicious and knew we had to share the recipe over here.
Before you scroll down for the recipe, we wanted to say that this granola does not need to be followed precisely. It's about using what you have in the pantry and being free spirited with it. Our measurements are merely suggestions, so go with the flow and feel free add more dried fruit or nuts or even chia seeds if you'd like. It's all about making granola that is stress free and your own. Keep reading on for the ingredients and our very simple method. Enjoy!
- 3 Cups of rolled oats
- 1 Cup of dried coconut flakes
- 1 Cup of chopped medjool dates
- 1 Cup of raw almonds
- 1 Cup of macadamia nuts
- 1 Cup of raw sunflower seeds
- 1 Cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
NB: Depending on how old your children are, you may need to take the nuts out.
- Half an apple julienned
- Handful of blueberries, and/or strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, sliced banana - whatever fruit you have in the fridge
- Milk of your choice - I love oat milk, whilst Dusty and Jason drink full cream milk
- You can also add yoghurt (Greek, natural, coconut) on top as well
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a big bowl, mix all of your ingredients with a wooden spoon. Ensure everything is mixed in well and well coated with maple syrup. Add a bit more maple syrup if you desire.
- Place mixture onto the baking tray, spread evenly with the wooden spoon and place in the oven for 15 to 30 mins. You'll need to keep an eye on the granola to make sure it doesn't burn on top.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven a couple of times and stir the granola around so the ingredients get evenly toasted. You want the ingredients to be toasted golden brown.
- Once ready, take the baking tray out of the oven and let it cool down. Serve warm with your toppings and milk.
- Store the rest in an air-tight container for up to 2 to 4 weeks.