I can't think of a better way to kick off summer than with a refreshing Spicy Watermelon Margarita. But served in a mason jar with straws covered in flaky sea salt, because why not? YUM. Watermelon is something we always have in the fridge over summer and it gives a vibrant, tasty twist to this classic summer-ready cocktail.
What I love about this cocktail is that watermelon has plenty of natural sweetness so you don't need to add any sugar, and it's super easy to make. The natural sweetness of the watermelon is beautifully balanced with fresh lime juice, which gives it a delicious citrus zing finish. Yes, it has a little extra kick to it thanks to the fresh jalapeños but thanks to the flaky sea salt covered straw, this margarita is mellowed out, while being bright and refreshing as well. I'm calling it - it's the cocktail to sip on all summer long.
Because this Spicy Watermelon Margarita is so easy to make, I often just have it on it's own but we had some friends over last weekend and I decided to take it to the next level by serving them in mason jars over ice. And nstead of using an ugly esky or a bucket, I grabbed a terracotta pot and used it instead. It looked so beautiful and festive! Paired with tortilla chips and my homemade guacamole and salsa, I brought all the summer vibes. To make your own Spicy Watermelon Margarita Jars with Sea Salt Straws, read on. Happy summer!
Ingredients - serves 4
- 6 cups of watermelon, roughly chopped (you may need more or less, so get at least one watermelon as it's better to have more if you need it)
1 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup triple sec
1 cup lime juice
- Handfuls of ice
- 2 small jalapeños, thinly sliced plus jalapeño rounds/coins for garnish
- Maple syrup
- Flaky sea salt
- Cocktail shaker. If you don't have one, use a tall glass and place your hand over the top when shaking it. But I can't guarantee some of the liquid won't leak out!
- Mason jars (I got mine from Choice Discount)
- Raffia. Adding a little decoration to the mason jars makes these vibrant Spicy Watermelon Margarita's a little extra special.
How To Make Spicy Watermelon Margarita Jars
- Place the watermelon chunks into a blender then strain it to get watermelon juice
- Place half the watermelon juice, tequila, triple sec, lime juice and a handful of ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake to chill. Set aside.
- Get two mason jars pepper by putting a handful of ice into each mason jar, plus one to 4 thin slices of jalapeño.
- Strain and pour the Spicy Watermelon Margarita into the prepared jars. Seal the lids and keep on ice.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 with the remaining ingredients.
How To Make Sea Salt Straws
Because these Spicy Watermelon Margarita's are served in mason jars, I wanted my friends to drink straight from the jars rather then pouring the cocktail into glassware and then have to season the glass rims with salt. But I am obsessed with that salty rim kick you get when you drink a margarita (I am that person that licks her cocktail glass clean of salt ha!).
Instead I decided to make some Sea Salt Straws. Full disclosure - this was Jason's idea! He's one of the most quietly creative people I know and when I was telling him about my conundrum, he suggested covering the straws in flaky sea salt. I quickly grabbed a bottle of maple syrup from the fridge, dipped a straw halfway into the bottle, shook off the excess maple syrup and rolled the straw in flaky sea salt. And that's all it took. So easy, so clever. IMHO.